Minutes from the Dixie Zone Annual Meeting
- Committee: Dixie Zone
- Date/Time: 9/14/02 12:10 PM
- Recorder: Lisa Watson
- Chair: June Krauser:
- Committee Members present: 30
- This was a luncheon meeting and thanks to Randy Nutt for making arrangements
for lunch.There were 30 Dixie Zone delegates in the room. After each delegate
introduced themselves, a count was taken on how many were from each LMSC.
Georgia LMSC had 6, Florida LMSC had 6, Florida Gold Coast LMSC had 6,
North Carolina LMSC had 4, South Carolina LMSC had 1, Southeastern LMSC
had 3, and Southern LMSC had 4.
2. Zone Specific Tasks
- A. Financial Report. There was a discussion regarding the Executive
Committee's recommendation that FOG be amended for zone dues collection
and disbursement. Members voiced concern that this would make the process
much more difficult and that it would be preferable to continue letting
each zone take care of their own finances.
- B. Zone Newsletters continue to be published in a timely manner.
- C. Top Ten Times -- the committee commended Dick Brewer for handling
Dixie Zone Top Ten Times.
- D. Records -- MSA -- The committee voted to establish a written policy
of guidelines for submitting times for Dixie Zone Records. Records Chairman
Ed Saltzman and the Dixie Zone Top Ten Recorders will comprise this committee.
- E. It was noted that we have one more 2002 Dixie Zone Meet -- SCM in
- F. Top Ten Patches -- Debbie Cavanaugh said that we are in good shape
with patches. LMSC's were encouraged to continually remind their LMSC's
that swimmers are eligible for a patch when they make the Dixie Zone Top
3. Zone Activities for 2002-2003
- A. Championship Meet bids -- MSA -- The Dixie Zone Committee awarded
Dixie Zone Championships to the following bids for 2003: SCY--Savannah
GA (April 26-27), SCM--Marietta GA (December 6-7), Open Water-Carter's
Lake GA (July 19).
- B. Thanks to Ed Saltzman and Dick Brewer, we had two nice calendars
to use for 2003 for a tentative calendar. These dates will eventually be
found on the Dixie Zone website: www.dixiezone.org.
4. Coaches Mentor Program
- Scott Rabalais encouraged the LMSC's to take advantage of the Coaches
Mentor Clinics, which will provide each zone with a dual clinic for coaches
and swimmers. Randy Nutt encouraged the LMSC's also to take advantage of
the Open Water Clinics, which can pay $500 to bring someone to conduct
5. Future Direction of Zones
- Our members felt that the Dixie Zone was thriving and hoped this trend
6. Discussion of 'Hot' Convention Topics
- The new block format was discussed. On the positive side, it was a
new idea and was conceived to promote interaction between committees. The
big downside was that there was not enough time allocated for committees
to conduct their own business. Also, with similar committees grouped together
in the block format, it made it impossible for someone with similar interests
to attend different committee meetings. One member suggested that if the
block format continues, the committees should meet first and then come
back in a group discussion.
7. New Business
- Scott Rabalais was congratulated for brining LCM Nationals to the Dixie
Zone since Savannah GA was awarded the LC bid for 2004!
Meeting adjourned: 1:32 PM.